•  
  •  
C. G. Credle School
image-839347-Oxford_Graded_School-16790.jpg
Old Faucette House-Later Hojme to Oxford Graded School
Photo from historicoxfordnc.weebly.com
Oxford Graded School, the forerunner of C. G. Credle School first met in the old Thomas U. Faucette house which was run as a Female Seminary by Faucette and his wife, Emma.  Their school likely began in 1891 on McClanahan Street as the Home Institute for Young Ladies and was moved to the College Street location by January of 1892.  Faucette was a Presbyterian Pastor and both he and his wife were teachers.
The Graded School, sometimes called the College Street School operated in the Faucette house from 1901 until 1911.  Around 1910, the house was sold and removed from the property, making room for the first brick building which became the Credle School Complex.
image-839345-Graded_School2-c51ce.jpg
Old Oxford Postcard Image
Also printed in the OPL during the Centennial Celebration
This new building housed ten grades with six classrooms, the library and offices for the Superintendent and Principal on the first floor, and four classrooms and a large auditorium on the second floor.  
image-placeholder.png
Gym built in 1934
Photo by Joan Roberson

image-placeholder.png
Second Classroom Building with Library and Cafeteria built in 1952
Photo by Joan Roberson
image-placeholder.png
Mr. C. G. Credle
Photo from Ancestry.com (yearbook picture)
Mr. C. G. Credle served as superintendent of the Oxford Schools from 1920 until his retirement in 1951. During Mr. Credle's administration, a new high school building; two gyms, a shop and a Home Economics Cottage were built as part of the Oxford School system. New buildings included the gym and the second classroom building on the Graded School property and the school was named after him in 1953.

Credle School building is the oldest structure still operating as a school in North Carolina.

Click HERE for more information.
image-placeholder.png
Newest Classroom Building and Library
Photo by Joan Roberson